Knowledge materials for preliminary assessments of the policy and poverty-environment context
The preparation phase of a PEI programme aims at “making the case” on the basis of the contribution of natural resources to poverty reduction and growth.
The initial steps entails preliminary assessments of the policy and poverty-environment context and are focused on identifying the key poverty-environment linkages and their importance for pro-poor growth as well as the relevant governance and institutional factors that affect policy and planning decision-making.
A number of reviews, methodologies, tools and examples from countries can be used as reference.
Reviews and introductory documents
- Eradicating poverty through an inclusive green economy, UNEP Post 2015 Note 6, 2014
- Links between Ecosystem Services and Poverty Alleviation: Situation analysis for arid and semi-arid lands in southern Africa, January 2008
- Strengthening policy dialogue on environment - Learning from five years of country environmental analysis, Poonam Pillai, World Bank Environment Department Papers, February 2008
- Poverty and Environment: Understanding Linkages at the Household Level, Environment Department, World Bank, June 2007
- Country-Level Environmental Analysis (CEA) and Institutional Assessment: A Review of International and World Bank Tools, Environment Strategy Papers Nr. 11, Poonam Pillai and Leiv Lunde, World Bank, February 2006
- Country-Level Environmental Analysis: A Review of International Experience, Environment Strategy Papers Nr. 8, Lisa Segnestam, Åsa Persson, Måns Nilsson, Anders Arvidsson, Ede Ijjasz, World Bank, July 2003
- Poverty-Environment-Gender Linkages, OECD, 2001 [English], [Français]
Methodologies and tools
- FAO Country Profiles and Mapping Information System
- World Bank Country Environment Factsheets
- Contribution of the environment and natural resources to pro-poor growth: a checklist examining these issues within a poverty reduction strategy, DFID, 2004
Examples from countries
- Institutional Analysis for Botswana, PEI Botswana, 2010
- Analyse du contexte institutionell et politique, PEI Burkina Faso, 2010
- Institutional Mapping for Malawi, PEI Malawi, 2008
- Etude d’identification des sites d’intervention du Projet APE, PEI Mauritania 2007
- Choix des sites d’intervention du projet renforcement de capacites nationales et locales pour une meilleure articulation des politiques environnementales dans la lutte contre la pauvrete au Mali, PEI Mali, 2006
- Environment and Poverty Reduction in Rwanda - An assessment, PEI Rwanda, 2006
- Poverty-environment-energy linkages in Rwanda - Policy brief, UNEP, Sustainable Energy Africa, 2006