Population (thousand) (2015): 5,957
Multidimensional Poverty Index Value (2012): 0.006
Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index, Country Rank (2014): 120
Gross Domestic Product per capita, at Purchasing Price Parity (2015) (US$): 3,426.6
PEI Phase I: 2011 – 2014
PEI Phase II: 2014 – 2017
The PEI programme in Kyrgyzstan was initiated in 2011, where a third of the population lives below the national poverty line. According to the National Statistical Committee agriculture accounts for 3.61% of total employment, rural poverty is 32.6%. More than 40% of agricultural land is degraded and over 85% of land is exposed to erosion. Thus sustained agricultural growth and measures to raise farm productivity and farm incomes are key priorities of the Government.
The key objective of the initiative in the Kyrgyz Republic is a more efficient implementation of development policies, plans and budgets that are harmonized with environmental sustainability and poverty reduction.
The programme is implemented by the Ministry of Economy and Industry of the Kyrgyz Republic, State Agency for Environment Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, National Statistical Committee, State Agency on Local Self-Governance and Inter-ethnic Affairs under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- PEI’s work with the Ministry of Economy facilitated by direct leadership and involvement of the Minister, as a PEI champion, has significantly contributed to the initiation, development and adoption of the two key strategic documents of country’s development –National Strategy for Sustainable Development 2013-2017 and Government’s Programme for Transition to Sustainable Development 2013-2017 (PTSD).
- The project supports the Ministry of Economy of the Kyrgyz Republic in the strengthening capacity of its Department of Strategic Planning and key ministries and agencies at the national and regional levels in strategic planning for sustainable development. The analysis and evaluation of the results of research on the long-term priorities of sustainable development for 2013-2013 carried out. Recommendations for their use in the framework of the adaptation of Global Sustainable Development Goals developed as well as the long-term priorities of sustainable development of the Kyrgyz Republic until 2030.
- Methodology of sustainable development strategic planning at national and regional levels developed and approved.
- Expert support to finalize the Batken and Jalal-Abad regions Development Programs, taking into account issues of sustainable development provided.
- Activities on sustainable pasture management and introduction of the “One Village - One Product” model the “Green Village” are being implemented in Naryn, Osh and Batken oblasts jointly with the UNDP Area Based Development Offices of Naryn, Osh and Batken oblasts.
- Assess the impact of the management of pastures on poverty and social issues. The result will be worked out strong, sound and stable financial advice to the government, give direction to the further spread of these practices in other regions of the country.
- Impact assessment of the pastures management on poverty and social issues conducted. As a result, sound and financially stable recommendations with further distribution of these practices in other regions of the country worked out.
- Jointly with the National Statistical Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic work for the implementation of environmental-economic accounting carried out. This activity was co-financed by the Czech Trust Fund. An experience in the development and application of environmental-economic accounting and experimental ecosystem accounting reviewed, the capacity for their implementation in Kyrgyzstan analyzed and methodological recommendations developed in close consultation with the NSC, SAEPF, Ministry of Economy, GTZ and CAREC. Based on the recommendations of the study, the project carries out preparatory work to improve the capacity of the NSC and the key stakeholders, piloting an experimental environmental accounting in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Assessment of ecosystem services conducted jointly with together with the State Agency for Environment Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- An interagency working group under the SAEPF established with the aim to facilitate the work of environmental-economic accounting for coordination activity on the assessment of key ecosystem services and to develop a methodological basis for valuation of biodiversity. The activity conducted in accordance with the National Sustainable Development Strategy till 2017, the Programme of the Government on Transition to Sustainable Development for 2014-2017, the Action Plan for the Conservation of Biological Biodiversity of the Kyrgyz Republic for 2014-2020.
- The Initiative supports local educational institutions in mainstreaming gender-specific activities, including research on gender aspects of poverty, biodiversity, climate change links, and in developing a training courses, academic competition, communications products. This activity is carried out in collaboration with the UNDP-GEF “Improving coverage and management effectiveness of protected areas in the mountains of Central Tien Shan” Project and the United Nations Women.
- The Initiative supports the Naryn State University in organizing an experience exchange with relevant educational institutions in the field of sustainable pasture management in Naryn oblast.